A new poll by Scott Rasmussen reveals that 60 percent of Americans say the primary purpose of the U.S. military is deterring others from attacking the United States.
- No other option earned more than 10 percent.
WHY IT MATTERS – Military aid to Ukraine is causing the U.S. to run low on key military supplies. Some argue that a depleted U.S. military could tempt bad actors to try to take advantage.
FULL RESULTS – Survey: What should be the primary purpose of the U.S. military?
- 60% – Deterring others from attacking the United States
- 8% – Fighting and winning wars abroad
- 7% – Peacekeeping missions overseas
- 5% – Fighting extremism
- 2% – Combating climate change
- 3% – Promoting diversity, equality, and inclusion
- 8% – Securing the borders of the United States
- 7% – Not sure